Friday, 19 August 2011

Cincinatti Sun-burn

Today was one of the most infuriating days trading that I have ever experienced. No matter what I did, whether good or bad, it wouldn't come off. I lost almost every single trade I placed, ending the day with 5 losses and 1 win, giving me just 5 wins and 16 losses over the last 3 days. Once again, things transpired in matches that don't happen that often, such as David Ferrer throwing away a game from 40-0 up. Three or four times a week at most, I'm used to that sort of thing happening but this week it's gone into double figures easily.

I'm sure it has something to do with the Cincinnati weather. The level of tennis in almost every match I've watched this week has been dreadful, with some of the lowest quality tennis I've ever seen from both men and women. Even the big players like Nadal, Tsonga, Wozniacki, Ferrer, Kvitova have played appallingly at times, whilst games such as Petkovic v Gajdosova and Simon v Ferrer have been the worst I've witnessed all year. I'm certain it must be the ferocious heat and humidity that is lowering the standards. Players seem to be really struggling and it is affecting my strategy. Apart from Wednesday, I really haven't traded that badly. The usual blip here and there but normally, my win-loss ratio would be 2 or 3 to 1, whilst this week it's almost 3-1 AGAINST! Even during my losing weeks, I still normally have more wins than losses, it's just that a couple of large losses wipe out all the wins. It's just an unusual week I guess.

That said, I did make some silly errors today that made things much worse than they needed to be. My goal today was simply to remain patient and wait for very clear opportunities only. And so I waited. And waited. And waited. For 3 whole hours, I waited patiently, monitoring 4 or 5 games but declining to get involved in any. That's an unusually long period for me. But my patience finally snapped during the final set of Nadal v Verdasco. I shouldn't have played the 3rd set as the swings were always going to be huge. I was caught out and stung for 20%. Another couple of hours passed and again, I waited. And waited. And waited. I watched the painful debacle that was Simon v Ferrer for over 2 hours. I finally found an entry point and it was looking great until Ferrer threw away those 3 game points. I was furious and let the trade slip out of control, ending up with a 15% loss.

For the late night session, I didn't have to wait long for an opening on Jankovic v Schiavone but JJ managed to lose 4 games in a row, turning my green position into a hideous red one. I could not believe my luck, it was so typical of the unbelievable number of outrageous turnarounds that have hit me this week. Only Gael Monfils (of all people!) remained solid enough for long enough for me to capitalise and give me my only win of the day on the final trade.

I've worked so hard to get my focus, patience and discipline right this week and I have actually improved massively in all areas. But I have nothing to show for it, profit-wise. Any other week this year and I would have been in substantial profit. But I've never known a week like this in all the time I've been trading. I suppose I should just shrug it off as an unusual anomaly that probably won't happen again all season. And I can guarantee you, I would have been facing enormous losses if this had been any week in the past. As it is, I can recoup all my losses with two good day's trading, which isn't bad considering the loss ratio. But right now, I feel sick to my stomach.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sultan

    I hope I find you well?
    I sent you a message last week, with reference a blog link exchange.
    I've put your link up here http://thebetplan.com/blog/ on the right under the heading 'Other Good Blogs / Sites'.
    If you could let me know in the next couple of days, if you can return the favour it would be appreciated.
    All the Best
    Harry

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.