Monday, 19 September 2011

Soccer Sickener

On Sunday, I did something so remarkably, inexplicably, unremittingly stupid that I am having real trouble getting over it. For a change, it has nothing to do with tennis. Unfortunately, it was still trading related. I was watching the Man Utd v Chelsea game and had an overwhelming desire to get involved in the second half. I layed the current scoreline immediately after Chelsea had made it 3-1, just after the re-start. Both teams were going at each other for the entire game and it looked like a gimme. I already had Betunfair open and couldn't resist a dabble.

Man Utd were awarded a penalty after a while and when Rooney stepped up, the form he was in and having already scored one, I fancied my chances. He missed. But I could have accepted a miss. Sure, I'd have been gutted and my anxiety level would have risen dramatically but these things happen. If the keeper has saved it or he'd skied it over the bar, fine. But no, it couldn't be an ordinary miss. It had to be the sort of ridiculous, once a season miss, probably once a DECADE miss that turns up on DVD compilations for Christmas stocking-fillers. Rooney slipped and kicked the ball against his own foot - HIS OWN FOOT!!! When that happened, I knew I was in trouble. I had a gut feeling this wasn't going to happen for me. I was spot on.

Later, Fernando Torres was through on goal, went round the keeper and surely it was just a formality of rolling the ball into an empty net for 3-2. Nope, he missed too. It wasn't just a bad miss, a bad miss I could just about handle. But THAT? That will go down in the history books as one of the worst Premiership misses of all time. It's right up there with the all-time classic miss by Ronny Rosenthal for Liverpool. Well at least Ronny hit the feckin cross-bar, Torres missed the entire goalmouth from about 10 yards out! YOU would've scored it, I would've scored it, ALL of our grannies would've scored it!


I wasn't even surprised when Rooney hit the post not long after and, in injury time, inexplicably decided to pass to Berbatov when one-on-one with the keeper. Only it was a shit pass and Berbatov had to stretch, making his weak effort easy for Cole to clear off the line. No, that was nothing really, I was almost expecting it. I was literally open-mouthed for a good hour after the final whistle, just sat there sick to the core in disbelieving silence. Did that REALLY just happen? My entire week's tennis profits flushed down the toilet in 45 minutes. A brilliant week, where I finally was starting to make significant progress, up in flames with a split-second of madness.

It brought back many gut-wrenching memories from my years of football trading, moments I thought had been assigned to history forever. I can't even remember the last time I bet on a football match but it wasn't this season. I don't know why I did it or what came over me. I was watching a very entertaining game happily, thinking to myself 'If Chelsea score early in the second half, this score could end up anything. 3-3, 5-2 etc'. The next thing I know, Torres scores instantly and I've clicked on the grid within seconds - didn't even think about it, I was so certain of at least one more goal.

If this had happened earlier this year, I don't think I would recover from it for weeks. I'd be chasing till I either got it all back or more likely, I doubled my losses. And don't think I didn't think about it! I poured over a few matches for a while, just wondering.................but I didn't. In fact, right now, several hours later, I can almost force a rye smile. It's pretty comical really. You won't see another match like that all season and you won't see another miss like that Torres one for............well, maybe never! But it does tell me one very important thing - I cannot be logged into Betunfair when watching the footy.

I just hope I don't start doing rash things on the tennis this week. I think I'll be fine but sometimes you can't tell until trading begins. What a way to end the week. Just got to blot it from my mind and soldier on. But it's a real sickener right now. Feck's sake Torres you 50 million pound PLUM!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Would you believe it I too laid 3-1. There was no way, NO WAY this game was ending 3-1. When even Torres is scoring, then anyone can score and probably will the way these two were going at it.

    The Rooney miss I can accept (just!), but THAT miss will never be forgiven or forgotten! It's the worst I've even seen. When he was one on one with the keeper, I wasn't excited as just expected him to run it into the keeper or something equally stupid. When he skipped past keeper like he wasn't there, I was seeing green, the boy is back! But the smile that spread across my face was short lived and my jaw quickly dropped to the floor! Unfreakingbelievable!

    Game over man, gave over! After seeing that miss I said goodbye to my money. There still could have been 2 or 3 goals after that, but wasn't surprised in the slightest when each of those very good chances were not taken. Sometimes you just know it ain't going to be your day, and today was just one of those days.

    Lesson learnt, lesson shared. Torres is a dick, we hate him so! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know I'm not the only one feeling the pain! Thing is, I was so sure there was gonna be a goal, I let my whole stake run, where I used to always hedge for a loss when I used to trade in the past.

    I just didn't expect my one football bet for the year to be on a game like that. Just goes to show that any game at any time can throw up the unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same on Sunday with the All Ireland Gaelic Football Finals. Got involved when I shouldn't have and witnessed the greatest recovery of the unfancied team in 20 years. Like you I watched as the impossible happened and crashed and burned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do we do it, eh? Can we honestly say that we won't ever do it again, either? Well, I definitely will never stray from tennis again. Probably.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.