Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Everyone's a Tipster

I'm a new member of the Twitterati brigade (follow me please, I need to appear more popular than I actually am!), having rejected Twitter for years as a pointless site for kids and celebrity obsessed fans to cyber-stalk their idols and for the idols to sell more of their crap. I stand by that assessment for the most part, although I'm now coming to see that it does have its plus-points in terms of catching the latest news fresh from the grape-vine, getting the general mood of the nation on various topics, finding out where Julia Goerges is on any given day and of course, hearing the incredibly profound, sharp-minded and not in any way contrived thoughts of Joey Barton.

The biggest annoyance though, is having to scroll your way through a daily gush of bilge, such as Federer and Nadal fanboys poking each other with sticks, constant updates from about 50 people at the same time, telling you who's just taken a corner in whatever football match is on and worst of all, the endless line of 'tipsters' trying to give their 'expert' view.


I'm just astounded by the number of people who claim to be tipsters on Twitter. The vast majority are football and horse racing based. How on earth can there be so many people out there who truly believe that their advice is the best advice? Some of them are obviously just ordinary punters who think they know it all and are just voicing an opinion but how does that entitle you to call yourself a tipster? The rest are all companies or more likely individuals trying to seem like a company in order to dupe you into subscribing. I just don't see how there can be so many all offering advice on the exact same subject!

Are there really that many gullible people out there looking for the holiest of grails, whereby they don't have to do ANY work at all to make a profit, other than do what someone else tells them? I'd love to know how many of these 'tipsters' actually turn a good profit. I would want to see a minimum of 2 years of profitable records before even considering paying a tipster. And if a tipster was that good, word would surely get around and we'd all be following, which would then negate any value that may have been there in the tips anyway. Or the tipster would realise that he was that good and stop giving tips so he can keep all the rewards for himself. No sensible tipster would give away their edge, surely?

They never seem to have a losing day either. The tweets are always along the line of 'Another winning day for all our subscribers' and 'Well done to everyone who followed our tips today'. Just for once I'd like to see 'Sorry to all our subscribers for the poor advice we gave today' or 'If you'd followed our tips today you'd be massively in the red - never mind'. I suppose it's not great for business though. And that's what you have to remember when you get involved with these services - they are businesses mostly, not altruistic gurus who just want to share their knowledge. Or am I being too harsh? I'm sure there are good ones out there but from bitter experience, I reckon most are best avoided.

Anyway, good luck to them, I've no real issue with what they are doing other than the fact they make it harder for me to see what airport Julia Goerges has just arrived at. So yeah, follow me on Twitter and I will let you know what the score is on any current match I'm watching, despite the fact you are probably watching the exact same match anyway. That's #tennis.tipster.sultan.

Here's world number 20, Italy's Flavia Pennetta:

3 comments:

  1. Check out TweetDeck, it should help you filter/manage Twitter better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mate, ive just added your blog to mine, care toe xchange links? thanks, keep up the decent blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks GG, will take a look at it, although much of what I wrote was tongue in cheek ;)

    Hi TTT, will add you, good to see another tennis blog out there, will be following you to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.