Wednesday, 7 December 2011

2011 Blog Review

Well the tennis season is now officially over and so is my first year of blogging. I know that I've picked up a lot of new readers in recent weeks, many of whom will not be familiar with my journey, so I thought I'd end 2011 by reviewing my year.

It's been a very disappointing year overall but with a huge, bright light at the end of the tunnel. When I began the blog, I thought (like I suppose 99.9% of all new trading bloggers) that it would only be a matter of weeks before I was consistently profitable from trading. I honestly believed that I would be comfortably living off my tennis profits after 6 months maximum. But I started badly (partly due to the extra pressure that writing a P&L blog actually puts you under), stopped writing within the first week and was almost finished within 2 months! Things then improved dramatically after I hit rock-bottom and was forced to make changes.

Unfortunately, this then lead to a second phase of over-confidence, where I did genuinely think I'd cracked it. This proved to be a huge false dawn and was cemented by the fact that the tennis markets changed following the introduction of the super-premium charge, rendering my strategy almost unworkable. This actually proved to be the best thing that could have happened to me. Yes, I'm actually thanking Betunfair for their grossly unjust and greedy manipulation! It forced me to make drastic changes and I totally revised my approach and discovered new ways of trading which were much more suited to my personality. Trading suddenly began to click and over the past 2 months, I've tweaked things and improved in all areas, to the point where I now feel I'm ready for a decent 2012.

This time last year, I was actually in a similar position. After a frustrating first year of tennis trading, I was given new hope after reading 'Trading in the Zone'. I began to make changes to my professional outlook, mindset and strategy, which I fully believed would see me crack trading in a matter of a few short months. I was wrong. Horribly wrong! So this time around, I am definitely not thinking that I will be where I want to be in 2012. I will not be putting a time-scale on anything and have no particular monetary expectations. Maybe I will be raking it in by March, maybe I will come good in summer or maybe it will take another year. I have no idea. But what I am certain of is that I will not LOSE money.

This means that the tremendous ups and (mostly!) downs of 2011 will no longer be around for your reading pleasure! I can't say it's always been fun writing the blog this year but it's definitely been therapeutic. It's a great outlet for my emotions aswel as for my creativity, which gets stifled somewhat by the every day battle on the ladders. The problem with this type of blog is that when you are doing well, there is generally much less to say and there is always much less comments from readers. I guess it's easier to empathise with a loser in this game! But the comments have always been very supportive and I want to thank again everyone who contributed.

I have experienced some of the biggest lows of my life and shared them with you all this year and it hasn't been easy to do that at times. Knowing that others out there are following and appreciating my posts has really helped. I've even received some fantastic emails from people praising 'Centre Court Trading' and nothing gives me greater satisfaction, not even an all green screen! The blog will (hopefully!) look very different next year but I'll still have plenty to say because writing is a passion of mine and so is tennis now. I just hope that trading will also be as big a passion in 2012.

Over the next few days, I will be writing about what I've learnt in 2011, focusing on a different subject each day.

Here's world number 25, the Czech Republic's Lucie Safarova:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.