Friday, 10 February 2012

You Cannot Be Serious, Man?!

I wanted to write today about the seriousness of trading. Over the past few weeks, I've received a few comments and read a few blog posts and forum discussions that made me construe that there are far too many people who take trading way too seriously. Whilst I believe that you need to be professional in your outlook and to be serious in implementing that, I think it is too easy for people to lose their sense of humour in doing so. I've always maintained that gambling + internet + male ego = anger. You put a bunch of mostly young, male, perennial losers (in the gambling sense) behind the anonymity of a computer screen and you have a recipe for arguments and hate-filled scorn. That's why betting forums can often be quite ill-tempered places.

Even those of us who aren't looking for a virtual scrap, can get sucked into this. Whilst I think analysis is good and can only help you in your progress, I think sometimes we traders can look too deeply into things and get caught up in debates that, whilst interesting, can become very draining. Keyboard Warriors and Trolls are inevitable in this environment and these are the people with the most anger and consequently, the smallest sense of humour. I'm not excluding myself from this at all. I know that I've been angry in the past and perhaps taken this game too seriously but one thing I've never done is take that anger out on someone else in a malicious manner.

There are people out there who are just scouring the net looking for an opportunity to take a dig at someone. In this gambling world, unfortunately, the percentage of these trolls seems high compared to most other online communities and I think it's because people who are losing often hate to see people who are winning. And if there is no one successful to have a go at, they will try and belittle someone who is struggling (the same as they are) - just as in the old school playground.

After several years in this environment, there has come a point now where I just want to have a laugh rather than get involved in too much heated debate. The most important thing in life for me, is laughter. But when I get into the trading bubble, that humour sometimes goes missing, either directly due to my trading or due to what someone else has written. It's not in my nature to be argumentative or negative but sometimes I get dragged down by the whole trading environment. I think I need to find a way of finding the humour within trading, without losing the ethos of this blog, which was always about me being honest about my trading experiences. I think it will actually help me with my trading, to have that healthier balance, so I'm in a better frame of mind when on the ladders.

OK, this post has got a bit depressing now so I'll finish with this:

How many traders does it take to change a light-bulb?

1 to buy it
2 to take it back, saying it was too expensive and had no value
5 to smugly claim they unscrewed the old bulb, miraculously sold it, bought a new one with the profit and are now 'all-green'
10 to give tips on how to fit it properly
20 to call the tipsters mugs
100 to take credit for changing the light-bulb, half an hour after it had been changed


That's the best I can come up with! If you can come up with a better answer, I'll stick it on my next post.


OFF-COURT BEAUTY: World number 40, Australia's head-case, Jarmila Gajdosova:


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sultan,

    I agree that it is good to have some humour thrown into the mix of blogging/betting/life. I have a few funny posts on HCE and although sometimes it is a matter for debate whether it is great humour...it makes me smile. :-)

    Kind regards,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.