Saturday, 10 March 2012

Writer's Block

I've gotta be honest, I'm really struggling to find stuff to write about. In fact, all I can think of to write about is not being able to think of stuff to write about! In a way, it's a positive thing. This blog has always been about my progress along a steep learning curve; discovering new aspects to trading, discussing potential ideas and theories and sharing my thought processes and the anguish and the failures. Now, it appears that I don't really have any of that to write about. I feel as though I've found my style, crafted a comfortable strategy and discovered all I need to know about trading. Of course, I'm not suggesting I've cracked trading and it will all be smooth sailing from now on. There's still plenty I need to work on to improve and maintain, and long term consistency is still not achieved but is there anything for me to learn about that I have yet to grasp?

Lately, it seems that I read other blogs or find out about a new trading book or financials quote, and it's all just covering old ground. I occasionally will want to add my thoughts to a discussion (usually regarding value!) but then stop myself as I get that uneasy feeling of de ja vu. I feel as though I've done my apprenticeship years, put in the hard graft, passed my theory exams and am now out in the big, wide world, where I have to put all I've learnt into practice and make money.

The problem for this blog is that it's not really that interesting to read about or to write about, week after week of steady progress. Trading like I am doing right now, in essence, is boring. There's no rollercoaster ups and downs, no depths of despair, no intense highs, no soul-searching, nagging questions and raging internal turmoil. It's just plodding along, making small amounts with insignificant, unexciting trades. Very few massive greens and no massive reds at all, to rave about in glorious technicolour. And the ridiculous, sloppy, unprofessional errors just aren't there to force me to put finger to plastic to rid myself of the burden of shame.

So the question is, where do I go from here? I could talk about my trades in detail but that doesn't do anything for me. I already record what I do in detail on paper, so why would I want to regurgitate it via the keyboard? I don't make 'picks' either, as 90% of my trading is done in-play, and no point mentioning that as it would be pure after-timing. And as I've mentioned before, I won't post a daily P&L because I never look at it until the end of the week and sometimes even longer. In the year I've been blogging, I've discussed pretty much every aspect of trading there is to discuss and all my lingering questions I had were answered in the series of interviews I gave with other traders, bloggers and industry players.

I need to find a new angle, some new inspiration to write about, get the creative juices flowing. Until then, all I can say is that I'm doing well, resisting the urge to up those small stakes for now and genuinely, finally learning from all those mistakes I made during my school years. Of course, it's still possible I might lose the plot and go back to my old ways - then I'll have plenty to say!

OFF-COURT BEAUTY: World Number 68, Timea Babos of Hungary:

8 comments:

  1. Ditto buddy, fed up of angst and misery. Trading away, usual bumps in the road, but making small steps forward. The thing that is becoming evident to me is that if I finally become proficient and profitable It will bore the pants off me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AG, good to hear things are moving forward for you. I don't actually find trading boring, I enjoy it for the most part. It's still a challenge and I still love watching tennis and making decisions in-play. It's the blogging I'm finding a little dry.

    Boredom when actually trading can be a real issue. I remember last summer, I was really struggling for focus, partly because I was bored. I now have a strategy that is more suited to me and allows me to enjoy it more and so retain focus. Just be careful the same thing doesn't happen to you. If you can't enjoy trading, it's going to cause issues further down the line. You might even find yourself looking for action and excitement and we all know where that leads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to think of something to write, and as usual perused my bloglist for inspiration (obviously ending up here:-)) to find I'm not the only one suffering from a lack of subject matter!

    It might, of course, be my imagination but I think even Cassini has dried up a bit recently.

    Has the market reached maturity I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely noticed that blog posts have dried up across the board since January. I'm guessing it's partly because of the whole New Year vibe wearing off and people have lost interest in blogging. You could be right though, maybe things have reached a peak............

      Delete
  4. You've got to keep going Sultan - if only for the eye-candy your blog provides us all with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's not a problem, I can update that in my sleep ;)

      Delete
  5. What you are experiencing now is exactly the point I got to a few years ago....here's the post I realised I didn't have anything new to say:

    http://markiverson-professionalsportstrader.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could well be I'm at that stage, although I haven't had any sustained success yet, so maybe not quite there. I guess I need to find a way of writing about successful trading that's as interesting as writing about the learning and struggling phase. The problem is, I don't consider myself as being successful yet, so I can't really write about that, which leaves me at a sort of half-way house! Maybe a couple more months of consistency will give me more inspiration.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.