Sunday, 1 April 2012

I Quit

After yet another calamitous week of desperate chasing, I've decided that I can no longer put myself through this mental torture anymore - as of today, I quit trading forever. Just as it seemed I was starting to get somewhere, after a solid January and marvellous February, I capitulated in the final week of March. I was so desperate to at least match what I did in February (my best ever month) that I started trying to force wins to bump up my profit. I was doing OK but was a few hundred short of hitting 4 figures for a consecutive month. I completely lost sight of the fact that I still had a good total because March only has 4 tournaments (WTA and ATP events for both Miami and Indian Wells) whilst February had 20 events (10 WTA and 10 ATP). I became completely blinkered towards making a grand and started placing bets and getting involved in matches that I didn't need to. After a few smaller reds mounted up, I panicked and tried to recoup on the set betting markets but this ended in catastrophe as I over-staked and lost a whole week's profit in one go. I was now so consumed with rage that I lost the plot, reverting to the lunatic that I was exactly a year ago. It seems I have learnt nothing. A whole year of slow progress became decimated in just a few days, as I chased on the football, something I've not done for many months. The reds just kept piling up and even though I knew I'd hit the self-destruct button, I couldn't stop my reckless risk taking. After a week of almost entirely all-red screens, I was suddenly staring at my worst month for over a year and I snapped. Seething with rage, I whipped out the credit card and emptied what I had left into my account, not as the start of a new bank but as the final spin of the roulette wheel, a final 'all-in' at the poker table - everything on Sharapova to win the Miami WTA final. She was duly pulped.

As I write this, I am just about sobering up. I glugged Jack Daniels down my neck all night to blunt the pain and fired up the blog for one last outpouring. It's been emotional, to say the very least, this year of Centre Court Trading. But I have to face the truth and the truth is that I've not been able to handle the truth - I don't have the mindset for trading and I never will have. Most of us who try trading will have to admit that at some point. Those who don't will go one of two ways; to great success or to their doom as a gambling addict or a failure, ruining their life because they are too stubborn to admit they have failed. I don't want to end up the latter, stuck in a never-ending spiral of debt, emotional turmoil and no social life. I must've aged 10 years in the last 2 years and I want my life back. I want to be in the sunshine, smelling the roses, hanging out with friends in the fresh air, enjoying lazy evenings with the girlfriend, gazing at sunsets and taking moonlit strolls - not bent over a keyboard for 10 hours in a darkened room till 3am, sweating over a Ukranian 17 year old in some back-water South American coastal resort, as she shanks yet another easy forehand into the bottom of the net, causing me to smash my foot into the nearest piece of upholstery for the umpteenth time, roaring with primeval rancour. I've tried my best but my nerves are shot, my head is numb and I'm drained of all emotion. It's time to admit that trading is not for me and end the dream. Goodbye all and thank you for following. I'll leave you with my final ever OFF-COURT BEAUTY, my home country's own Laura Robson:


The Sultan

15 comments:

  1. Hi The Sultan,

    I'm sorry to read you are quitting! That's too bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You little kidder you! April fools, right? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone can be a trader but some people take more time to reach it. Its all about persistence and patience. Why dont you try pre live markets instead of live markets? What about market profiling?


    good luck
    r9

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this has something to do with today's date...... April 1st, if not then sorry to see this come to an end!

    Regards
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy April Fools Day!!!!!!

    Love it - I've been following your path over the last few months and know you wouldn't have done the above - I hope ;-)

    All the best

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly shocked. Your honesty is commendable, and very few would have the courage to be so open. Having left my trading career behind last December I can honestly say that I haven't missed it. It's so easy for trading to take over and, whether successful or not, there is more to life than the next market.

    I genuinely hope everything works out for you. I also think you've done the right thing quitting now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm you'll have to do better than that. Although just in case it IS true I am thinking of getting a new computer desk for my new office. Can I have yours?
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope this isn't an April Fool, but if not.....

    To be honest dude, I don't blame you. I reckon I'll be calling time on my trading at the end of April. I m not confident I can make it work anymore either. Like you, I m sick of staring at a screen into the small hours hoping for some obscure team to score a goal.

    It'll be sad to see your blog go, it's been a really good read over the last year or so and I for one will miss it. However, I think you're making the right decision to call it a day.

    Good luck for the future, in whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK I'd better come clean, it was an April Fool's joke! I feel a bit bad now cos all the comments have been so nice! Hope you'll all see the funny side and for those who wished me the best, the sentiments are much appreciated so thank you.

    Hope you keep reading because things are going very well for me right now and I will be posting a few things in the coming weeks which might be very useful to anyone learning / struggling with their trading.

    Thanks for all your comments

    The Sultan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit you had me there, glad it's not true, although I must say I didn't think you were on about tennis when you said about being "bent over a keyboard for 10 hours in a darkened room till 3am, sweating over a Ukranian 17 year old"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Good spot Pete, I never noticed how that was written!

      Delete
  11. Hey sultan, as I visit your blog every day, I was truly shocked after reading this. I almost commented you in starting a writers career as you have a magnificent ability in what you are doing in this blog. Im so happy that it was an april fools joke! Keep up the good work and keep us updated on how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do Picard007, thanks for the kind words, got plenty more to come.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.